FreiChat related discussions
FreiChat Upgrade and Customization

Hi
I'm installing the new version 10.0 of freichat and I'm having a couple of issues in the upgrade. I'm going from J2.5 to J3. I have the version 1.0 currently. I hadn't updated because I had heavily customized the chat. Now it's time and with the new file structure, I've created a new theme. However, I couldn't figure out how to upgrade, other than removing the freichat folder and replacing it with the new one. I couldn't uninstall the module listed in the extension manager, but I inserted the code in the head as per your instructions. My problem is that the old chat data gets erased.

So my questions are:
1- Can I just repopulate the chat table with the old info (matching the room ID) ? Or should I do something different?
2- Concerning my theme, I'd like to have the default text color to be white, but I don't know where to set it. I understand once the user clicks on the color picker then it remembers that (how?) but I can't find where to set it for the first time.
3- I would like the time format in the chat to show the date as well, e.g. 2/25 9:15 pm. Is this possible?
4- Is it possible to have the chat room show up only in some pages, rather than site-wide?
5- This might seems strange, but I'd also like to embed the chat in a page i.e. in my main "community" page. Is it possible?

Thank you for your help, I know this might be beyond the normal scope.
Tomás

Hi I'm installing the new version 10.0 of freichat and I'm having a couple of issues in the upgrade. I'm going from J2.5 to J3. I have the version 1.0 currently. I hadn't updated because I had heavily customized the chat. Now it's time and with the new file structure, I've created a new theme. However, I couldn't figure out how to upgrade, other than removing the freichat folder and replacing it with the new one. I couldn't uninstall the module listed in the extension manager, but I inserted the code in the head as per your instructions. My problem is that the old chat data gets erased. So my questions are: 1- Can I just repopulate the chat table with the old info (matching the room ID) ? Or should I do something different? 2- Concerning my theme, I'd like to have the default text color to be white, but I don't know where to set it. I understand once the user clicks on the color picker then it remembers that (how?) but I can't find where to set it for the first time. 3- I would like the time format in the chat to show the date as well, e.g. 2/25 9:15 pm. Is this possible? 4- Is it possible to have the chat room show up only in some pages, rather than site-wide? 5- This might seems strange, but I'd also like to embed the chat in a page i.e. in my main "community" page. Is it possible? Thank you for your help, I know this might be beyond the normal scope. Tomás

Hi,

We were shocked when you said you were upgrading from 1.0 to 10.0.

1- Can I just repopulate the chat table with the old info (matching the room ID) ? Or should I do something different?

Yes, you can, but not recommended.

2- Concerning my theme, I'd like to have the default text color to be white, but I don't know where to set it. I understand once the user clicks on the color picker then it remembers that (how?) but I can't find where to set it for the first time.

Which color do you want to be white.
You can either use the theme maker in freichat backend or directly edit the css file
in freichat/client/themes/Your_Theme/styles.css

3- I would like the time format in the chat to show the date as well, e.g. 2/25 9:15 pm. Is this possible?

Yes, it is but before that, let us make sure freichat is installed and works correctly.

4- Is it possible to have the chat room show up only in some pages, rather than site-wide?

Yes, do you want only the chatroom to be showed in some pages, or both the private chat and the chatroom.

5- This might seems strange, but I'd also like to embed the chat in a page i.e. in my main "community" page. Is it possible?

What do you mean by embed ? FreiChat should load in all the pages so why do you want to embed it ?

Hi, We were shocked when you said you were upgrading from 1.0 to 10.0. >1- Can I just repopulate the chat table with the old info (matching the room ID) ? Or should I do something different? Yes, you can, but not recommended. >2- Concerning my theme, I'd like to have the default text color to be white, but I don't know where to set it. I understand once the user clicks on the color picker then it remembers that (how?) but I can't find where to set it for the first time. Which color do you want to be white. You can either use the theme maker in freichat backend or directly edit the css file in freichat/client/themes/Your_Theme/styles.css >3- I would like the time format in the chat to show the date as well, e.g. 2/25 9:15 pm. Is this possible? Yes, it is but before that, let us make sure freichat is installed and works correctly. >4- Is it possible to have the chat room show up only in some pages, rather than site-wide? Yes, do you want only the chatroom to be showed in some pages, or both the private chat and the chatroom. >5- This might seems strange, but I'd also like to embed the chat in a page i.e. in my main "community" page. Is it possible? What do you mean by embed ? FreiChat should load in all the pages so why do you want to embed it ?

Hi Adesh,
Thank you for your answer.

Hi,

We were shocked when you said you were upgrading from 1.0 to 10.0.

So was I. I hadn't noticed that there had been so many updates, but it always worked fine for me so I didn't upgrade. Now I'm moving to J3 and it's a must.

1- Can I just repopulate the chat table with the old info (matching the room ID) ? Or should I do something different?

Yes, you can, but not recommended.

I tried it and it worked great, I only had to make sure my rooms table matched to the rooms in the previous version.

2- Concerning my theme, I'd like to have the default text color to be white, but I don't know where to set it. I understand once the user clicks on the color picker then it remembers that (how?) but I can't find where to set it for the first time.

Which color do you want to be white.
You can either use the theme maker in freichat backend or directly edit the css file
in freichat/client/themes/Your_Theme/styles.css

I'd like the default font color for every chat room to be white. Right now it's grey. I have changed it to white in the styles.css file (line 7), but the first time the user logs in it is set to grey until the user changes it. When it's changed, then it stays that way. This leads me to think that it must be stored in a cookie somewhere?

My issue is because my chat has a blue background and the grey font doesn't look too good. All the imported text (which doesn't have a span tag) shows up nicely in white, as does system text.

I've had the issue that I can't save in the freichat backend, I must do it in the css file directly. Tracking that error is not a priority for me right now as there are more pressing issues (it's not file permissions and I haven't tried in other browsers yet -using Chrome). I'm fine (and I prefer) editing the css file directly.

3- I would like the time format in the chat to show the date as well, e.g. 2/25 9:15 pm. Is this possible?

Yes, it is but before that, let us make sure freichat is installed and works correctly.

It's working correctly. I've tested it and it's all working ok.

4- Is it possible to have the chat room show up only in some pages, rather than site-wide?

Yes, do you want only the chatroom to be showed in some pages, or both the private chat and the chatroom.

I didn't think that was a possibility, but I would keep both tied together. I have two main areas of my site where I'd like to have the chat: under my main menu "EVENTS" which has several pages, and under my "COMMUNITY" menu, also with many pages. Throughout the rest of the site, I'd rather it didn't show.

5- This might seems strange, but I'd also like to embed the chat in a page i.e. in my main "community" page. Is it possible?

What do you mean by embed ? FreiChat should load in all the pages so why do you want to embed it ?

I know it's a strange question, and I probably wouldn't want to do it, but many people are requesting it. This would be in one page only, hardcoded in an article or module, and I don't mind if it's duplicated via the tab or not. This is not a priority, what I have noticed that the chat room is not used very much. The private messaging is used quite a bit, but not the chat.

I made a clean install, by deleting the freichat directory, and then doing a new install (I didn't delete the tables in the database), went through the normal install process, and customized the chat room. Then I imported the chat table since the install deleted it's contents. Structure seems the same. I matched the name and id of the rooms I had before, I only have two rooms. Only registered members can chat and I don't let them create new rooms.

It's looking great. The above issues are minor customization that I'd like but are not vital.

Thank you,
Tomás

Hi Adesh, Thank you for your answer. >Hi, >We were shocked when you said you were upgrading from 1.0 to 10.0. So was I. I hadn't noticed that there had been so many updates, but it always worked fine for me so I didn't upgrade. Now I'm moving to J3 and it's a must. >>1- Can I just repopulate the chat table with the old info (matching the room ID) ? Or should I do something different? >Yes, you can, but not recommended. I tried it and it worked great, I only had to make sure my rooms table matched to the rooms in the previous version. >>2- Concerning my theme, I'd like to have the default text color to be white, but I don't know where to set it. I understand once the user clicks on the color picker then it remembers that (how?) but I can't find where to set it for the first time. >Which color do you want to be white. >You can either use the theme maker in freichat backend or directly edit the css file >in freichat/client/themes/Your_Theme/styles.css I'd like the default font color for every chat room to be white. Right now it's grey. I have changed it to white in the styles.css file (line 7), but the first time the user logs in it is set to grey until the user changes it. When it's changed, then it stays that way. This leads me to think that it must be stored in a cookie somewhere? My issue is because my chat has a blue background and the grey font doesn't look too good. All the imported text (which doesn't have a span tag) shows up nicely in white, as does system text. I've had the issue that I can't save in the freichat backend, I must do it in the css file directly. Tracking that error is not a priority for me right now as there are more pressing issues (it's not file permissions and I haven't tried in other browsers yet -using Chrome). I'm fine (and I prefer) editing the css file directly. >>3- I would like the time format in the chat to show the date as well, e.g. 2/25 9:15 pm. Is this possible? >Yes, it is but before that, let us make sure freichat is installed and works correctly. It's working correctly. I've tested it and it's all working ok. >>4- Is it possible to have the chat room show up only in some pages, rather than site-wide? >Yes, do you want only the chatroom to be showed in some pages, or both the private chat and the chatroom. I didn't think that was a possibility, but I would keep both tied together. I have two main areas of my site where I'd like to have the chat: under my main menu "EVENTS" which has several pages, and under my "COMMUNITY" menu, also with many pages. Throughout the rest of the site, I'd rather it didn't show. >>5- This might seems strange, but I'd also like to embed the chat in a page i.e. in my main "community" page. Is it possible? >What do you mean by embed ? FreiChat should load in all the pages so why do you want to embed it ? I know it's a strange question, and I probably wouldn't want to do it, but many people are requesting it. This would be in one page only, hardcoded in an article or module, and I don't mind if it's duplicated via the tab or not. This is not a priority, what I have noticed that the chat room is not used very much. The private messaging is used quite a bit, but not the chat. I made a clean install, by deleting the freichat directory, and then doing a new install (I didn't delete the tables in the database), went through the normal install process, and customized the chat room. Then I imported the chat table since the install deleted it's contents. Structure seems the same. I matched the name and id of the rooms I had before, I only have two rooms. Only registered members can chat and I don't let them create new rooms. It's looking great. The above issues are minor customization that I'd like but are not vital. Thank you, Tomás

Hi,

I'm still trying to solve my issues.

I know the last issue of placing the chat box embedded is strange, but handling the chat on a phone is very hard, and the new mobile chat I cant get to load on any phone. I' see the little silver chat square, but on clicking nothing happens. I've tried allowing pop-ups but it doesn't do anything.

Also I'd really like to reformat the date.

I'd appreciate some help.

Thanks
Tomás

Hi, I'm still trying to solve my issues. I know the last issue of placing the chat box embedded is strange, but handling the chat on a phone is very hard, and the new mobile chat I cant get to load on any phone. I' see the little silver chat square, but on clicking nothing happens. I've tried allowing pop-ups but it doesn't do anything. Also I'd really like to reformat the date. I'd appreciate some help. Thanks Tomás

The embed issue is one of my priorities are people can't access the chat rooms. Mobile is not working and since about half of my users access from portable devices, they like to have a page where the chat is displayed directly and not be a pop-out that makes it almost impossible to read and reply on portable devices.

Thank you,
Tomás

I'm using FreiChat 10 paid corporate.

The embed issue is one of my priorities are people can't access the chat rooms. Mobile is not working and since about half of my users access from portable devices, they like to have a page where the chat is displayed directly and not be a pop-out that makes it almost impossible to read and reply on portable devices. Thank you, Tomás I'm using FreiChat 10 paid corporate.

Hi,

As an update, I've solved/figured out items 1, 2 & 3. I was able to successfully import all old messages to the new installation; I found where the new cookie sets the default text to "grey" and changed it to white; and I've changed the date format in the chat box to show as I like.

I would really like to embed the chat in one page, so that all those who have issues with the chat window can comfortably access it.

Thank you,

Tomás

Hi, As an update, I've solved/figured out items 1, 2 & 3. I was able to successfully import all old messages to the new installation; I found where the new cookie sets the default text to "grey" and changed it to white; and I've changed the date format in the chat box to show as I like. I would really like to embed the chat in one page, so that all those who have issues with the chat window can comfortably access it. Thank you, Tomás

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply.

Do you want to embed the chatroom or the private chat windows ?

Hi, Sorry for the late reply. Do you want to embed the chatroom or the private chat windows ?

Hi Adesh, sorry for my delay.
I would like to embed the chat room, and it can be one only, it doesn't have to be multiple.
Thank you,
Tomás

Hi Adesh, sorry for my delay. I would like to embed the chat room, and it can be one only, it doesn't have to be multiple. Thank you, Tomás

Hi,

Embedding is a little tricky.

You have to copy/paste the html defined in the start of the client/freichat.js
into your page.

Or, you can just copy the element using jQuery to your website then hide the original chatroom.

Someone else did the same before too.

Hi, Embedding is a little tricky. You have to copy/paste the html defined in the start of the client/freichat.js into your page. Or, you can just copy the element using jQuery to your website then hide the original chatroom. Someone else did the same before too.
912
8
2
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft