FreiChat related discussions
High resource usage videochat during connecting, and during connection.

Hi there,

I had a question about the videochat resource usage. Before the upgrade (from 9.6 to 10.0) it was still working (now it is not anymore, I will make a new Topic for that later) and I received an error saying that my website was down due to high resource usage. This was when I had a videochat connection for 2 minutes.

When I checked my resource usage in cPanel, I saw the following:

54bf81fc082fa.jpg

Is this supposed to happen? I saw that the IO(KB/s) was 2048, at its maximum. If there are more users at the same time, will this input/output multiply as well? What is the function of the server, in using peer-to-peer WebRTC?

When I now try to make a video connection, the page shows 'Connecting...'. If I leave this for ten seconds and then close the window (for both users), the resource usage shows the following:

54bf84cd2aaea.jpg

Is the resource usage due to the servers activities in establishing the connection, or also due to the videostream? Also, is it so that the system falls back on a 'classical' video connection (using the server, not peer-to-peer webrtc) when the webrtc connection fails?

Greets,

Jeroen

Hi there, I had a question about the videochat resource usage. Before the upgrade (from 9.6 to 10.0) it was still working (now it is not anymore, I will make a new Topic for that later) and I received an error saying that my website was down due to high resource usage. This was when I had a videochat connection for 2 minutes. When I checked my resource usage in cPanel, I saw the following: ![54bf81fc082fa.jpg](serve/attachment&path=54bf81fc082fa.jpg) Is this supposed to happen? I saw that the IO(KB/s) was 2048, at its maximum. If there are more users at the same time, will this input/output multiply as well? What is the function of the server, in using peer-to-peer WebRTC? When I now try to make a video connection, the page shows 'Connecting...'. If I leave this for ten seconds and then close the window (for both users), the resource usage shows the following: ![54bf84cd2aaea.jpg](serve/attachment&path=54bf84cd2aaea.jpg) Is the resource usage due to the servers activities in establishing the connection, or also due to the videostream? Also, is it so that the system falls back on a 'classical' video connection (using the server, not peer-to-peer webrtc) when the webrtc connection fails? Greets, Jeroen

Hi,

Is this supposed to happen?

No.

What is the function of the server, in using peer-to-peer WebRTC?

It's only function is to initiate the connection and the rest of the load is put on the clients.
So, the server has no load at all and will be similar to a one-to-one text chat

Hi, >Is this supposed to happen? No. >What is the function of the server, in using peer-to-peer WebRTC? It's only function is to initiate the connection and the rest of the load is put on the clients. So, the server has no load at all and will be similar to a one-to-one text chat

I am happy to hear that the only function of the server is to set up the connection, and that the rest of the load is set on the clients. You also mentioned that this is not supposed to happen (the resource usage as shown in the table). Any idea how I could fix it? How to get the usage down? The only thing running on the server is the videochat, and the peak you see was exactly during the short time the connection was there.

I am happy to hear that the only function of the server is to set up the connection, and that the rest of the load is set on the clients. You also mentioned that this is not supposed to happen (the resource usage as shown in the table). Any idea how I could fix it? How to get the usage down? The only thing running on the server is the videochat, and the peak you see was exactly during the short time the connection was there.

I think the peak is due to the 'Connecting..' phase. Many requests are sent to the server in a short time (get_video, post_video, each few seconds on both sides), this might also account for the IO peak. I can't test how resources are when the connection is there, since I am not able to create one (probably need to upgrade hosting plan due to limitation in resources).

I think the peak is due to the 'Connecting..' phase. Many requests are sent to the server in a short time (get_video, post_video, each few seconds on both sides), this might also account for the IO peak. I can't test how resources are when the connection is there, since I am not able to create one (probably need to upgrade hosting plan due to limitation in resources).
168
3
2
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft