Codoforum related discussions
Codoforum is Awesome but Lacks 2 Important Features

First off, I wanna thank the Developer (Adesh) for creating this sweet piece of content management system in the first place. Really man, a Million thanks to you!

Now, I gotta put a Dagger in your Chest. You see, buddy, you just forgot to utilize 2 cute little important features in the back-end of your script.
Now, I know a lotta folks including yourself must be thinking... what could that possibly be?
Well, behold my friends! I'll show it to ya. Just mind the Points I mentioned below:

• Store attachments on a sub-domain rather than the Parent Domain
  • Restrict users (according to Primary Role settings) from creating Topics under a specific Category

Now, the Question is... why is it so Important?

Well, the Answer is very Simple.

1. If you store attachments on a different portal, say a sub-domain... it'll improve overall Page Loading Speed tremendously. Like you know, if 10000 folks upload Images on the main Domain with 50 Images per Page and 1000 folks access the Website at the same time... you can Imagine how incredibly it'll slow down the response of the server.So, you gotta use the sub-domain to store attachments. Just like YouTube, Amazon and WordPress sites do.

Now about the Restriction:

1. Let's just say there are some users that I don't want to allow create Topics under a specific category, say News and Announcements. So, when I set the Rule for a user, say a Moderator... he won't be able to create Topics under News and Announcements but he can create Topics elsewhere.

But sadly, these 2 FEATURES ain't available in Codoforum. So my buddies @adesh, @admin and @WebCrew don't you folks think they are very Important to get 'em adopted in this Software?
If so, can you make 'em happen, cap'n?

First off, I wanna thank the Developer ([color=#FF0000]Adesh[/color]) for creating this sweet piece of content management system in the first place. Really man, a Million thanks to you! Now, I gotta put a [color=#FF00FF][b]Dagger[/b][/color] [color=#009B77]in your Chest[/color]. You see, buddy, you just forgot to utilize 2 cute little important features in the back-end of your script. Now, I know a lotta folks including yourself must be thinking... what could that possibly be? Well, behold my friends! I'll show it to ya. Just mind the Points I mentioned below: - [color=#9B2335]Store attachments on a sub-domain rather than the Parent Domain[/color] - [color=#9B2335]Restrict users (according to Primary Role settings) from creating Topics under a specific Category[/color] ### Now, the Question is... why is it so Important? Well, the Answer is very Simple. 1. If you store attachments on a different portal, say a sub-domain... it'll improve overall Page Loading Speed tremendously. Like you know, if 10000 folks upload Images on the main Domain with 50 Images per Page and 1000 folks access the Website at the same time... you can Imagine how incredibly it'll slow down the response of the server. So, you gotta use the sub-domain to store attachments. Just like YouTube, Amazon and WordPress sites do. Now about the Restriction: 1. Let's just say there are some users that I don't want to allow create Topics under a specific category, say News and Announcements. So, when I set the Rule for a user, say a Moderator... he won't be able to create Topics under News and Announcements but he can create Topics elsewhere. But sadly, these [color=#0000FF][b]2[/b] FEATURES[/color] ain't available in Codoforum. So my buddies @adesh, @admin and @WebCrew don't you folks think they are very Important to get 'em adopted in this Software? If so, can you [color=#88B04B]make 'em happen[/color], cap'n?

The Geek

Hi @TheGeek

Thank you for your kind words and suggestions.

I agree with your first suggestion that we should separate the attachments out of the forum. However the reason is not just loading time of the images because we can always use a CDN to mitigate that. The reason is to separate code and assets for improving security.
We will be doing this however its not a priority yet.

As for your second suggestion, it's already available. Go to the backend -> categories and click permissions next to the category where you want to restrict category creation. Update permissions for that specific category for that specific group. Codoforum supports category level permissions.

Hi @TheGeek Thank you for your kind words and suggestions. I agree with your first suggestion that we should separate the attachments out of the forum. However the reason is not just loading time of the images because we can always use a CDN to mitigate that. The reason is to separate code and assets for improving security. We will be doing this however its not a priority yet. As for your second suggestion, it's already available. Go to the backend -> categories and click permissions next to the category where you want to restrict category creation. Update permissions for that specific category for that specific group. Codoforum supports category level permissions.
Necessity is the mother of all inventions!

My, my! Yeah, it's right there.

Man, I can't believe I didn't notice it there. You're a darling, mate. I must say that. That little Permissions of Category setting got a very strong Impact.

Thanks for shedding some Light into the Darkness of my mind! Really appreciate it, mate!

My, my! Yeah, it's right there. Man, I can't believe I didn't notice it there. You're a darling, mate. I must say that. That little **Permissions of Category** setting got a very strong Impact. Thanks for shedding some Light into the Darkness of my mind! Really appreciate it, mate!

The Geek

Hey there! Thanks a bunch for your gratitude. Adesh sounds like a real wizard! 😊 And hey, your suggestions are spot-on! Storing attachments on a sub-domain is like giving your phone a sleek case that speeds things up and keeps running smoothly. And those restrictions? They're like setting up personal preferences on your phone, ensuring only the right stuff gets through. Great call!

Hey there! Thanks a bunch for your gratitude. Adesh sounds like a real wizard!
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft