Codoforum related discussions
Support for Databases Other Than MySQL

If I understood correctly, Codoforum is using Laravel's ORM component - which, if memory serves me right, supports various database backends. Does this mean that Codoforum may extend its support to include databases other than MySQL in the future?

Reason for the question: since being taken over by Oracle, MySQL has stopped being automatically included in some server configurations, and must be installed separately - ie, MacOS X Server. Also, MySQL's version of SQL is infamously quirky and non-standard. Other databases - such as Postgres and SQLite - are much more standards-compliant, and easier to instal and configure - ie, SQLite requires no configuration at all.

SQLite offers other advantages, due to its portability: the entire database can be kept in a single, compact file that is easy to copy (for installation, moving from development to production, and for backup). Although SQLite is not designed for heavy-load traffic sites with millions of hits per day, I have used it for sites with over a thousand visitors daily, without a glitch.

I run and maintain several servers for various clients, all MacOS X Servers. These servers come with Postgres and SQLite pre-installed, but no MySQL. Installing, configuring and maintaining MySQL on these machines is a chore, and it is a serious consideration factor for me whether the software can use Postgres or SQLite instead.

SQLite is by far the top choice for me, in terms of easy maintainability, but even a NoSQL database - such as ArangoDB or Mongo - is easier to instal, and less quirky to configure and maintain, than MySQL.

Codoforum is so good that I'm certainly going to bite the bullet and instal MySQL, if needed, but if it could also use SQLite, it would make my job as a server administrator easier - and would make me more likely to consider it for an even greater number of use-cases. smile

If I understood correctly, Codoforum is using Laravel's ORM component - which, if memory serves me right, supports various database backends. Does this mean that Codoforum may extend its support to include databases other than MySQL in the future? Reason for the question: since being taken over by Oracle, MySQL has stopped being automatically included in some server configurations, and must be installed separately - ie, MacOS X Server. Also, MySQL's version of SQL is infamously quirky and non-standard. Other databases - such as Postgres and SQLite - are much more standards-compliant, and easier to instal and configure - ie, SQLite requires no configuration at all. SQLite offers other advantages, due to its portability: the entire database can be kept in a single, compact file that is easy to copy (for installation, moving from development to production, and for backup). Although SQLite is not designed for heavy-load traffic sites with millions of hits per day, I have used it for sites with over a thousand visitors daily, without a glitch. I run and maintain several servers for various clients, all MacOS X Servers. These servers come with Postgres and SQLite pre-installed, but no MySQL. Installing, configuring and maintaining MySQL on these machines is a chore, and it is a serious consideration factor for me whether the software can use Postgres or SQLite instead. SQLite is by far the top choice for me, in terms of easy maintainability, but even a NoSQL database - such as ArangoDB or Mongo - is easier to instal, and less quirky to configure and maintain, than MySQL. Codoforum is **so good** that I'm certainly going to bite the bullet and instal MySQL, if needed, but if it could also use SQLite, it would make my job as a server administrator easier - and would make me more likely to consider it for an even greater number of use-cases. :)

Yes the forum uses Laravel's ORM component, but we have used raw SQL instead of relying on the ORM as raw SQL is much more faster.

We have made sure the SQL used is not vendor specific, so 99% of the queries are compatible with SQLite and Postgres.

we initially did the development on SQLite but we switched to MySQL because most people that tested our product did not have an SQLite driver but had MySQL installed by default.

apart from the queries in the installation, as of now there is only 1 incompatible query in the search function which was added for optimization(which is MySQL specific).

We will surely add support to SQLite and Postgres once we have the basic feature set of a forum ready.

Yes the forum uses Laravel's ORM component, but we have used raw SQL instead of relying on the ORM as raw SQL is much more faster. We have made sure the SQL used is not vendor specific, so 99% of the queries are compatible with SQLite and Postgres. we initially did the development on SQLite but we switched to MySQL because most people that tested our product did not have an SQLite driver but had MySQL installed by default. apart from the queries in the installation, as of now there is **only 1** incompatible query in the search function which was added for optimization(which is MySQL specific). We will surely add support to SQLite and Postgres once we have the basic feature set of a forum ready.

We will surely add support to SQLite and Postgres once we have the basic feature set of a forum ready.

@avinash, this is wonderful news indeed, and one more reason to love Codoforum! smile

> We will surely add support to SQLite and Postgres once we have the basic feature set of a forum ready. @avinash, this is wonderful news indeed, and one more reason to love Codoforum! :)

@avinash I see that the current version of Codoforum now lists SQLite as an installation option. It has been reported, however, that at present installation on SQLite fails.

Is this merely a bug in the current version - likely to be fixed in the next release - or is SQLite installation still in alpha testing stage?

@avinash I see that the current version of Codoforum now lists SQLite as an installation option. It has been reported, however, that at present installation on SQLite fails. Is this merely a bug in the current version - likely to be fixed in the next release - or is SQLite installation still in alpha testing stage?

Hi,

Looks like a recent side effect of some features.

We did not test sqlite installation in 3.1

We will make sure it works in the next release.

Hi, Looks like a recent side effect of some features. We did not test sqlite installation in 3.1 We will make sure it works in the next release.

@adesh many thanks for keeping us informed! Now I'm looking forward even more to the next release of Codoforum!

Guys, keep up the good work - it's truly appreciated. :-)

@adesh many thanks for keeping us informed! Now I'm looking forward even more to the next release of Codoforum! Guys, keep up the good work - it's truly appreciated. :-)

Hello @adesh , thanks for the news!

It's good to know that the problem is under investigation. (just in case, i have put some details here if it can be of some help)
I will check in the next releases/news to see if the problem have been solved; any information is welcome!

Thanks again!

Hello @adesh , thanks for the news! It's good to know that the problem is under investigation. (just in case, i have put some details [here](http://codologic.com/forum/index.php?u=/topic/1843/installation-problem-with-sqlite#post-8812) if it can be of some help) I will check in the next releases/news to see if the problem have been solved; any information is welcome! Thanks again!
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft