I use German as forum language (I did a translation for the locale files which I will provide shortly).
I have just realized that special characters like ä, ö, ü, etc. are converted to their respective html entities before being stored in the
codo_post table, e.g.
ä ö ü
While that is fine for display, it apparently breaks the search when you are searching for a word containing any of those letters.
The same is probably true for all special characters.
These days with utf-8 encoding the conversion into html entities probably isn't necessary.
But if you do it you need to convert the search term as well or you break the search.
I am doing a lot of monkey patching to get this software to work the way I want it to and I have the distinct feeling that all my patches will be overwritten once the next update comes around...
Update: I provided the German translation at https://github.com/evnix/codoforum-translations and issued a pull request. I noticed there is a Spanish translation waiting for its merge since January 15th.