Codoforum related discussions
ETA on "Groups", "Permissions" & "Polls" Features?...

Even though I've only started playing with Codoforum, I wanted to tell you how impressed I am at just how polished its interface is. There is no forum software I've tried that has an interface as intuitive as this. Congratulations on your hard work: it shows, and it's truly appreciated!

I have a project right now for which I'd love to use Codoforum. A not-for-profit, volunteer organisation needs a forum for its Board, its members and (possibly) the general public. Although the requirements are not complex, there may be a couple of points which would prohibit me from using Codoforum right now:

1. There needs to be "Groups" - General, Members, Board - and there must be a "Permission" system that makes certain categories private to certain groups - i.e., only Board members should be able to see Board discussions.
  2. There needs to be a "Poll" feature, as the Board would like to use the forum to conduct official voting, both to help the Board members in its internal decisions, as well as when putting questions to the members.

I have seen that all these features have been added to your Roadmap already, and I wanted to know whether they are scheduled for a quick release, or whether they are planned for sometime in the distant future. The point being, that if they are likely to be released within a month, I'd make the client wait, as Codoforum would be worth it. It it's 2 months or more away, however, the client will not be able to wait, and I'll have to find an alternative solution...

Any information the Codoforum developers may be able to provide would be of great assistance.

Even though I've only started playing with Codoforum, I wanted to tell you how impressed I am at just how polished its interface is. There is no forum software I've tried that has an interface as intuitive as this. Congratulations on your hard work: it shows, and it's truly appreciated! I have a project right now for which I'd love to use Codoforum. A not-for-profit, volunteer organisation needs a forum for its Board, its members and (possibly) the general public. Although the requirements are not complex, there may be a couple of points which would prohibit me from using Codoforum right now: 1. There needs to be "**Groups**" - *General*, *Members*, *Board* - and there must be a "**Permission**" system that makes certain categories private to certain groups - i.e., only Board members should be able to see Board discussions. 2. There needs to be a "Poll" feature, as the Board would like to use the forum to conduct official voting, both to help the Board members in its internal decisions, as well as when putting questions to the members. I have seen that all these features have been added to your Roadmap already, and I wanted to know whether they are scheduled for a quick release, or whether they are planned for sometime in the distant future. The point being, that if they are likely to be released within a month, I'd make the client wait, as Codoforum would be worth it. It it's 2 months or more away, however, the client will not be able to wait, and I'll have to find an alternative solution... Any information the Codoforum developers may be able to provide would be of great assistance.

I am one of the developers, These features will be available within 2 months.
The next version of the forum will have smiley and embed (oneBoxing) support

I am one of the developers, These features will be available within 2 months. The next version of the forum will have smiley and embed (oneBoxing) support

Thank you for the info - it's very reassuring. I'll try to get the client to wait a couple of months, if possible, as Codoforum would truly be an ideal solution for them.

While we are talking about these features, however, I wanted to check with whether you guys already have specs on how they will work. I'm guessing that you probably already do - and judging by your work so far with Codoforum I'm sure we will like them a lot. But just in case, here is my wish list:

1. Groups should be Roles
    The main purpose of having 'groups' is, IMHO, to assign access permissions to categories and discussions, and that is the function of 'roles'.

2. A User should be able to have multiple roles
    Right now, a user can only be assigned a single role - it is selected from a drop down menu. While some roles should override all others - ie, access rules set by key system roles such as 'guest', 'banned', etc. take precedence over all others - custom-defined roles should not be mutually exclusive, and a user should be able to be assigned more than one role (using checkboxes).

3. Full Featured Polls
    a. User should be able to close the poll, so no further voting can take place.
    b. User should be able to specify a deadline (either set a date or set number of days) when the poll will automatically close
    c. User should be able to specify whether voting is a 'secret ballot', or whether it is an 'open vote' (everyone sees who voted for what).
    d. User should be able to specify whether votes can be changed, or whether once a vote is cast, it is final and cannot be rescinded.

Once again, thank you for your awesome and inspiring work on Codoforum. You guys are truly redefining the modern forum.

Thank you for the info - it's very reassuring. I'll try to get the client to wait a couple of months, if possible, as Codoforum would truly be an ideal solution for them. While we are talking about these features, however, I wanted to check with whether you guys already have specs on how they will work. I'm guessing that you probably already do - and judging by your work so far with Codoforum I'm sure we will like them a lot. But just in case, here is my wish list: 1. **Groups should be Roles** The main purpose of having 'groups' is, IMHO, to assign access permissions to categories and discussions, and that is the function of 'roles'. 2. **A User should be able to have multiple roles** Right now, a user can only be assigned a single role - it is selected from a drop down menu. While some roles should override all others - ie, access rules set by key system roles such as 'guest', 'banned', etc. take precedence over all others - custom-defined roles should not be mutually exclusive, and a user should be able to be assigned more than one role (using checkboxes). 3. **Full Featured Polls** a. User should be able to close the poll, so no further voting can take place. b. User should be able to specify a deadline (either set a date or set number of days) when the poll will automatically close c. User should be able to specify whether voting is a 'secret ballot', or whether it is an 'open vote' (everyone sees who voted for what). d. User should be able to specify whether votes can be changed, or whether once a vote is cast, it is final and cannot be rescinded. Once again, thank you for your awesome and inspiring work on Codoforum. You guys are truly redefining the modern forum.

regarding roles, do you know any existing CMS or forum that does this really well?

I'm guessing that you probably already do

no, to be honest, we actually did not have specs.
we only had it in our to do list with a rough idea.

The detailed specs that you gave will surely help the way in which these features are going to be implemented. Thanks smile

regarding roles, do you know any existing CMS or forum that does this really well? > I'm guessing that you probably already do no, to be honest, we actually did not have specs. we only had it in our to do list with a rough idea. The detailed specs that you gave will surely help the way in which these features are going to be implemented. Thanks :)

regarding roles, do you know any existing CMS or forum that does this really well?

@avinash unfortunately, to be totally honest, all the 'traditional' forum software packages out there that I've looked at do a terrible job with their permissions and access control.

Access control can easily become a very complicated beast, and the challenge in this area is always the same: how to keep it simple for the user to understand and use it.

What you guys have done so far works really well, and is very simple and easy for users to understand. The only thing missing from the system you already have is the ability to have private discussions and categories, which should be assigned to custom roles. My suggestion therefore would be this:

1. Keep the current roles as they are.

2. Users with roles of 'guest' or 'banned' automatically have access only to view public discussions and categories (any other role is ignored).

3. The permission of all roles that a user has - including custom roles - are added together to work out whether the user has access to a certain discussion, category or feature. That means, that if the user has been assigned any role that gives them that permission they should have access.

When a user is starting a new discussion, or defining a new category, they would be given the option to select (tick in checkboxes) all roles that should have access to it - being able to specify both read (view) and write (post) access. In my experience, this is all that should be required to cover 99.9% of all use-cases.

Some forum software goes 'permission crazy', and the developers start creating individual permissions for everything, to a level of granularity that is overwhelming and not needed. I tested a software package yesterday - I won't mention names in order to protect the innocent - that had, literally, hundreds of permission options that interacted with each other in quirky ways. For instance: in every discussion you had the option of specifying individually whether a certain role could view, post, vote in polls, change vote, add attachments, download attachments, edit past posts, archive posts, revert post to previous version, flag posts, bookmark the discussion, make the discussion sticky, etc, etc, etc. It was not just unnecessary, it made it unusable.

People like me setup forums for clients to use and manage on their own - and in general my clients are simple folk whose lives do not revolve around technology. Keeping things simple when dealing with permissions is absolutely key to keeping your software usable - and keeping Codoforum a winner.

> regarding roles, do you know any existing CMS or forum that does this really well? @avinash unfortunately, to be totally honest, all the 'traditional' forum software packages out there that I've looked at do a **terrible** job with their permissions and access control. Access control can easily become a very complicated beast, and the challenge in this area is always the same: how to keep it **simple** for the user to understand and use it. What you guys have done so far works really well, and is very simple and easy for users to understand. The only thing missing from the system you already have is the ability to have private discussions and categories, which should be assigned to custom roles. My suggestion therefore would be this: 1. Keep the current roles as they are. 2. Users with roles of 'guest' or 'banned' automatically have access only to view public discussions and categories (any other role is ignored). 3. The permission of all roles that a user has - including custom roles - are added together to work out whether the user has access to a certain discussion, category or feature. That means, that if the user has been assigned **any** role that gives them that permission they should have access. When a user is starting a new discussion, or defining a new category, they would be given the option to select (tick in checkboxes) all roles that should have access to it - being able to specify both read (view) and write (post) access. In my experience, this is all that should be required to cover 99.9% of all use-cases. Some forum software goes 'permission crazy', and the developers start creating individual permissions for everything, to a level of granularity that is overwhelming and not needed. I tested a software package yesterday - I won't mention names in order to protect the innocent - that had, literally, *hundreds* of permission options that interacted with each other in quirky ways. For instance: in every discussion you had the option of specifying individually whether a certain role could view, post, vote in polls, change vote, add attachments, download attachments, edit past posts, archive posts, revert post to previous version, flag posts, bookmark the discussion, make the discussion sticky, etc, etc, etc. It was not just unnecessary, it made it unusable. People like me setup forums for clients to use and manage on their own - and in general my clients are simple folk whose lives do not revolve around technology. Keeping things simple when dealing with permissions is absolutely key to keeping your software usable - and keeping Codoforum a winner.

When a user is starting a new discussion, or defining a new category, they would be given the option to select (tick in checkboxes) all roles that should have access to it - being able to specify both read (view) and write (post) access. In my experience, this is all that should be required to cover 99.9% of all use-cases.

That is a very good suggestion. we will try to do something similar!

and yes, we understand the end user experience is what counts in the end.
so we try to keep the options as simple as possible, no matter how complex it may be internally.

for example, this editor is basically built for Markdown, but we knew a lot of old forum users are still used to BBCode, so we added support for both BBcode and Markdown, But we made those formatting buttons on top of the editor just for Markdown so that users can make the transition smoothly.

> When a user is starting a new discussion, or defining a new category, they would be given the option to select (tick in checkboxes) all roles that should have access to it - being able to specify both read (view) and write (post) access. In my experience, this is all that should be required to cover 99.9% of all use-cases. That is a very good suggestion. we will try to do something similar! and yes, we understand the end user experience is what counts in the end. so we try to keep the options as simple as possible, no matter how complex it may be internally. for example, this editor is basically built for Markdown, but we knew a lot of old forum users are still used to BBCode, so we added support for both BBcode and Markdown, But we made those formatting buttons on top of the editor just for Markdown so that users can make the transition smoothly.

@avinash Any signs of Polls plugin?

@avinash Any signs of Polls plugin?

www.getpregnantforfree.co.uk (4700+ active members) powered by Codoforum 3.72 would like to see CodoPM updated :)

> When a user is starting a new discussion, or defining a new category, they would be given the option to select (tick in checkboxes) all roles that should have access to it - being able to specify both read (view) and write (post) access. In my experience, this is all that should be required to cover 99.9% of all use-cases.

That is a very good suggestion. we will try to do something similar!

and yes, we understand the end user experience is what counts in the end.
so we try to keep the options as simple as possible, no matter how complex it may be internally.

for example, this editor is basically built for Markdown, but we knew a lot of old forum users are still used to BBCode, so we added support for both BBcode and Markdown, But we made those formatting buttons on top of the editor just for Markdown so that users can make the transition smoothly.

Not noticed any.of my users using Markdown or BBCode...

>> When a user is starting a new discussion, or defining a new category, they would be given the option to select (tick in checkboxes) all roles that should have access to it - being able to specify both read (view) and write (post) access. In my experience, this is all that should be required to cover 99.9% of all use-cases. >That is a very good suggestion. we will try to do something similar! >and yes, we understand the end user experience is what counts in the end. >so we try to keep the options as simple as possible, no matter how complex it may be internally. >for example, this editor is basically built for Markdown, but we knew a lot of old forum users are still used to BBCode, so we added support for both BBcode and Markdown, But we made those formatting buttons on top of the editor just for Markdown so that users can make the transition smoothly. Not noticed any.of my users using Markdown or BBCode...

www.getpregnantforfree.co.uk (4700+ active members) powered by Codoforum 3.72 would like to see CodoPM updated :)

live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft